Translate

Monday 29 February 2016

Flash Fiction: A New Page by Yetunde Oyelude

You are only allowed to study eminent science courses as a child of Professor Adebanjo, and as fate would have it, I am an ‘Adebanjo’; and I dare not trash the tradition.

It is evening and my family members are in the living room spending quality time with one another, but I chose to confine myself to my room, so I could dwell on what I wanted to do with my life. And so I started thinking; Abigael, you are the most intelligent senior student in the science class of the prestigious Great Learners High School with several accolades backing this fact, and most importantly, you have made your doting father the proudest man on earth. And here you are, about to graduate high school with the saddest heart. Why is that?

“Daddy, I want to be a writer.” Those words didn’t seem like they came from my mouth. I blinked my eyes severally like someone who was just getting out of hypnosis. I didn’t understand how I got to the living room; all I knew was that I had just said the abominable.

I became the cynosure of staggered and bewildered faces. Though, my father’s face told nothing.  It was just blank. “Have you gone mad?” He simply asked, in a low, cold voice that sent shivers down my spine. I was trembling with fear.

“Daddy, grant me permission, and I will make you proud just like I have always done.” I said, as bravely as I could.

His fury could not be hidden anymore. “You must be mad! None of my children will ever be in the Arts. Never!”

“But daddy, what if I was born to write on a new page?”

Biography

Yetunde Oyelude, an indigene of Ogbomoso, Oyo State, loves watching movies, singing and reading novels. She is a prolific writer with an unpublished novel to her credit. She studies in the department of Communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment