Translate

Friday 26 February 2016

Flash Fiction: My Silver Lining by Aladesuyi Seun

Trouble loomed. I just used the last ₦100 in my purse to get to my uncle’s office. I wouldn’t have acted so irrationally if he had not assured me of being employed immediately.

I stared at the secretary, who was totally oblivious to my situation, and asked, “sir, are you sure he won’t come back to office today because he told me to come exactly this time, today.”
The secretary looked at me disdainfully, making me feel as if my brain was unclad.

 “Least you can do is answer,” I muttered.

Stranded and frustrated, I tugged at the hem of my chiffon blouse, trying to figure out how to get home with zero naira in my purse. I had hoped my uncle would give me money to take cab back home.

Well, if there was anything, like a silver lining, it was not my fate; apparently, my life was full of dark clouds. I slowly made for the exit planning to walk all the miles home.

 “Miss Fiona Alade...!”

 I turned to see the secretary hurriedly making his way towards me with a brown envelope visible in his hand. I gave him a questioning look.


 “Am so sorry, ma’am, it skipped my mind. He dropped this for you on his way out,” the secretary said, while handing me the envelope.

 I collected the envelope, giving the secretary the ‘you suck at your job’ look. I opened the envelope like a drug-deprived addict. The content left me mad. Signing the secretary’s ‘go home and never come back’ letter was the next thing I needed to do. He kept my hope waiting at his desk.

Biography

Aladesuyi Seun Oluwatimilehin hails from Akure in Ondo State.  She is passionate about maximizing her writing potential. Despite being a student of Communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan, she dedicates some of her time to watching movies and reading novels thereby striking a balance between education and entertainment.




No comments:

Post a Comment