Translate

Saturday 5 December 2015

Flash Fiction: Deceitful Truth by Makinde Damilola


While returning from buying eggs and sardine for breakfast that Saturday, I fantasized devouring my share after its preparation when I heard someone calling out to me. It was my friend Wasiu who lived next to my house. I rarely spend time with him as I was hardly allowed beyond our balcony's railings. We exchanged pleasantries and after a brief talk, I told him I had to go in as we were already in front of our gate. Just then, he made it known to me he would follow me in; I defiantly refused, but he seemed resolute. I entered and started whistling as if we had a dog which was to heed the ominous call. Unaware of the trick, Wasiu, like lightening, disappeared from behind me. I consumed the fruit of happiness which the trick served me.

Upon entering, dad asked me why I whistled. Confidently, I explained how Wasiu wanted to follow me in and how I deceived him with a mythical dog. After my explanation, dad went in, brought out four strong wires, strung them together and started flogging me. To him, I was a lazy liar who had been an apprentice of the devil for a limited time. He flogged me blue-black.

After 45minutes of thorough flogging, he commanded me to go down on my knees with my arms up. As I did, I noodled on what happened and why I got flogged to that extent. I could not rationalize the link between the punishment and the offence. Coincidentally, a radio sermon was on, and the cleric made a statement, 'Tell the truth and it shall set you free', and in my demoralized state I burst into tears, answering to myself, "No, it didn't set me free".

Biography

Makinde Oluwadamilola Peter, a first year student of communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan, takes delight in writing, singing and reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment