Translate

Thursday 3 September 2015

Of Love and Woes II by Akindeji Ola

Our eyes were locked in a battle of emotions in which none of us was ready to throw in the towel. We were both egoistic but I was eager to cut her wings to stamp my authority. I continued looking her squarely in the eye while studying her reactions. She was startled although she tried hard to hide it. She returned the look I gave her, and it felt as though her hazy eye would burn through my soul. After a few awkward minutes of eye communication, I decided to withdraw the eye-attack in order to initiate a conversation with her.

“Hello sunshine,” I said, smiling sheepishly.
No reply came as she was utterly confused. It was so obvious that she was shocked to see me again.
“You were very mean yesterday. I was only trying to be friendly, you know,” I said again.
 “No, I wasn’t. I only did the most appropriate thing, you were the jumpy one,” she countered defensively.
“All right, just forget it okay? Let’s start this all over. I am Toba, and you are?” I said extending my hand again. She tilted her lash eyelashes upward, shook her head, and finally burst out into uncontrollable laughter.

A thousand and one thoughts rushed into my mind as I tried figuring out what was going on within her. My mind tried rationalizing the fact that she could refuse my offer the second time. “She is actually the one cutting your wings,” the spirit of truth whispered.

“Aisha,” she said, jolting me back into reality. Surprisingly, she shook my hand. The earth momentarily froze as her tender palm touched my woody palm. I felt like a celestial being; I was in heaven.
“Hey,” she cooed, bringing me back from wonderland. “How about this night? 7:30, Love Garden,” she added.
“That’s all right,” I said, trying to suppress the excitement welling-up within me. My intestines danced for joy like a child who just got a new toy for Christmas. I wanted to scream my head off. I had gotten Miss. World without having to travel round the world.
“Don’t be late,” she said, with an air of finality while giving me a penetrating look. Her presence was swept away with the swagger that endeared her to me in the first place.

Late? Never! I was never going to miss such a coveted opportunity.

I tried to concentrate in class, but I could not as thoughts of what could happen that night kept flashing through my mind. I dreaded screwing up the budding romance.

The day passed by slowly like a snail. Impatience was excessively pumped into my adrenal gland. Finally, 7pm chimed on my clock, and I started getting dressed for our premature date. I put on my finest casual dress, perfumed my body heavily and set off for our venue. I was going to play love at Love Garden.

I waited patiently for Aisha to arrive, and at exactly 7:30pm, she arrived. Our date began in earnest. We talked on everything we could lay our mouths upon. All through our discussion, she clung to me like a baby scared of the dark. She pleaded that I sang for her, and I obliged although I had a croaky voice; a toad would make a better singer. Suddenly, our lips were fastened together with the thread of passion before parting for our tongues to engage themselves in a frenzied dancing competition. When we finally separated, I could see her chest heaving like an athlete who had just finished a marathon race.

***
“Watch your front, Mr.!” A man shouted at me, crudely bringing my thoughts to an abrupt end. I groggily made my way towards Aisha while the old memories flooded my mind again. I remembered the many bad moments we had together and how different circumstances threatened to tear us apart. In the midst of those nagging thoughts, it became clear that we were inseparable – the earth and the sky, fate made us.


Biography

Akindeji Ola, who hails from Osun State, studies in the department of Communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan. He loves reading and socializing.

No comments:

Post a Comment