Translate

Friday 31 July 2015

The Hands of Time by Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom



It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

(Culled from William Henley’s Invictus)


***

The hands of time often wriggle free of our pitiable ‘had I known’ to heed fate’s audible callings. Perhaps, the past cannot be rewound for correction to have its way; only the present can be molded as clay. As humans, we are victims of regrets invented by past actions and inaction – I am not excluded from this lot. Read my story first before conceiving any fallible assumption in your inquisitive mind.

***

Having completed my Junior Secondary School in a private institution as a high-flyer, I proceeded to Federal Government College, Ikirun to further my education. For me, it was a crossroads where I ought to decide my fate by choosing a department among Science, Commercial and Arts since it wasn’t possible to combine the trio. Being quite brilliant, Science was the undisputable option. Moreover, my four elder siblings had set the trend of studying in the field of Science. I was, therefore, eager to maintain the status quo, and not be an unworthy exception.

During the course of study, I realized Science was a colourful mistake; an error facilitated by fascination. I had no liking for mathematical calculations. Similarly, Physics and Chemistry were my nightmares. For three good years, I was condemned to study these subjects that continually sapped my happiness of strength. While my grades were satisfactory, and I experienced little or no challenges getting promoted to the next class due to my ‘retentive and recalling’ ability, my brain shrank in wits, and my esteem was badly wounded. I was no longer a high-flyer, just a regular student.

Resolute, I made up my mind to follow my passion, that is, arts. But first, I must have that despicable ‘B.Sc.’, I concluded. I wrote my final exams with fear trailing my dreams. I applied to study Applied Geology at Federal University of Technology, Akure in my Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) registration form. When the result was eventually released, success clung to me. Contrarily, my Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) result tarnished my hopes. I had credits and distinctions in subjects including my nightmares, but Mathematics was an outcast. A pass was the best I could get from its worst.

Nevertheless, I remained undaunted. I was willing to give my all to acquire higher education. I went back to the drawing board; Arts had to be then not later. I started making preparations to take Arts O’ levels without any intention of enrolling in any school or tutorial. I doubled as a teacher and student – a reflection of Abraham Lincoln’s self-education.

Few months later, my resilience and diligence were rewarded – I had passed arts o’ levels and life’s tests on self-discovery.

***
With the knob of time turned clockwise, the present captures me seated in my room, in the University of Ibadan, writing this story as an assignment assigned to a creative writing class by my amiable lecturer, Dr. Yinka Egbokhare.


If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have initially followed my heart and not be a wanderer in the wilderness like the Israelites discussed in Exodus. If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have discovered myself early enough to make up for the eternally lost years. If I could turn back the hands of time, this story would be breathless. 



Kolade Olanrewaju Freedom was born in the early ’90s in Osogbo, the capital of Osun State, Nigeria. As a child, Kolade fell in love with African literature which inspired his passion for creative writing.His literary works have appeared in such diverse publications as global charity anthologies, magazines, websites and blogs.
In 2013 Freedom was selected as a Pentasi B. World Featured Inspirational Poet, an international honor based in the Philippines. He is also the winner of the first edition of UK’s Write, Share, Be Read Poetry Competition-Category A as well as an awardee of the Janet P. Caldwell’s Essay Contest, underwritten by Inner Child Press (USA).
Kolade has authored two poetry collections, The Light Bearer and Punctured Silence. He currently studies Communication and Language Arts at the University of Ibadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment